Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Inspiration Wednesday: Chicken Soup for the Soul

IN high school, I started reading the Chicken Soup for the Soul books and all its reincarnations (Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul, CS for Dads and Daughters, etc,etc...). I would stay up late at night with a flashlight under the covers long after my dad would tell me to sleep, reading and essentially, feeding my soul.

I loved all the anecdotes about life. The stories of love won, and love lost. Of triumph and challenges overcome. I read about grief, and overcoming it. I devoured these pages, and learned a lot through them. What I loved most about the books were that the stories were always filled with happiness and hope. No matter the tragic story behind something, or the agonizing decisions made. At the end of each one, I found hope.

These books, through all the collective stories, taught me sympathy and empathy. It inspired me to be a good daughter, sister, friend, girl friend, neighbor, person. It may sound silly to some, especially since they were stories of people I never met and  probably never will in this lifetime, But their words really touched my heart.

What reminded me of my love for these books was seeing one on a co-worker's desk last week. Perhaps, it's time to revisit them once again, and pick one up for Mothers!

Click here for more info about these books. Should you decide to give it a try, I hope you find them as enjoyable as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment